Part of the Ethan Henry Lecours Foundation’s mission is to create a volunteer program. We are actively working on creating a program at Tavares Pediatric Center.
Tavares is a skilled long-term nursing facility, which provides care for severely and profoundly disabled children and young adults. Services include, speech and language, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, nutrition, recreation, and social services.
The residents at Tavares have made such a mark on our hearts. They are truly everyday heroes.
We are looking for volunteers who are serious about working with these extraordinary children and young adults.
Who: We are actively recruiting adults and young adults who are willing to commit to the program.
When: Opportunities are available weekdays in a classroom setting and/or on weekends either during a regular program or one-on-one visits. Each visit would be approximately an hour in length.
What to do: Bring a positive attitude and enjoy the experience!
Classroom opportunities include:
- Assisting the classroom teacher with “cooking” activities
- Assisting the kids play musical instruments with the guidance of the Music Man (one of Ethan’s favorite activities!)
- Provide an extra set of hands that will really come in handy
Weekend opportunities include:
- One-on-one visits with a resident
- Participate in a regularly scheduled activity
Criteria to Volunteer:
- A willingness to participate in the program for a minimum of 6 months
- Complete a BCI screening
- Attend a brief training on the center and its guidelines
Next Step: If you think you may be interested in volunteering, we will have you visit Tavares and complete a tour of the center. This will give you a better understanding of the center and these great kids!